Get to know the historic passenger and freight railroad station for college students and their families in New York.
The Lehigh Valley Railroad grew into a carrier for both freight and passengers between Jersey City, New Jersey, and Buffalo, New York. Its first connection to Finger Lakes region was in 1871. In 1876, the Lehigh Valley took control of the newly reorganized Geneva, Ithaca, and Sayre Railroad, which was started by Ezra Cornell Of Itaca.
During the late 1800's and into the early 1900's, The Lehigh Valley built numerous feeder lines in the Upstate New York area. The Lehgih Valley Railroad was well-known for it's passenger service,before it inaugural run in 1896. Consequently,followed by a train wreck that occurred in Manchester After,
World War II most railroads,trains,and tracks began to disappear. Likewise, under the control of the Pennsylvania Railroad, in 1962,the tracks from Ithaca to Geneva was removed in 1963.
In short local resident Joseph O Ciaschi , local leader converted the abandoned building into a restaurant, known as "The Station" , the restaurant operated until September 2005, and the building since then converted into " The Chemung Canal Trust Company".
Resources are gathered from Lehigh Valley Railroad Historical Society.